Thursday, October 2, 2008

Girl Interrupted

Yesterday Kendall and I decided to seize an opportunity for a mini date. I called my friend, Wendy, and asked if she could have the kids for an hour and a half over lunch. As I've mentioned before, dates are a rare occurrence. Therefore, they are precious.

Well, we got to the restaurant and sat down. Kendall and I had a rough couple days and I was right in the middle of my apology. Then I saw a familiar-looking head move along the sidewalk outside the window I was facing. She came in.

"Kendall," I said, "some flexibility may be required. I think your friend's mom just walked in." (This was the mom of Kendall's childhood friend. I mentioned her before when she was arguing with another local woman about who had more claim to my husband. She was the one who cussed out Kendall a time or two when he was young and she answered the phone drunk. She appears to be beyond that now and lives a more stable life. And in spite of the arguing and past cussing, she likes Kendall a lot.)

Anyway, Kendall looked over to the door and there she stood. Seeing us sitting there, she came over and joined us. Then she ordered tea. Oh… I think she's staying for awhile. Well, I tried to be flexible and I think I succeeded. She sat and talked with us for awhile. Then Kendall slyly worked it into the conversation that we were on a date. Surprised, she quickly apologized and said that she should leave us alone. We said that it was okay and then she didn't leave us alone. J But after awhile she stood up to leave and we said goodbye.

She went to pay. After a bit, she came back and said that she had forgotten something. She grabbed our bill off the table and walked away without looking back.

By the way, I did eventually get back to the apology.

No comments: