Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Here are some pictures of some of the fun details we've added to our home. It's been fun to come up with ideas and work at them together. Kendall is really creative. Our minds work well together on this kind of project.

I take great inspiration from Jodi, a very creative bosom buddy. (Okay, so I memorize things I see in her house and try to copy them later.) She has a mind that is able to see junk reincarnated into beautiful, quirky pieces.


This is a bulletin board. We found the window frame way out in the bush. It was leaning against a tree with lots of other junk. It looked like a disassembled house. My favorite thing about this piece is that it didn't cost us anything except for the dollar or so for thumbtacks. It is styro-foam covered in burlap and other fabric. The burlap was cut out of coffee bags from a friend who roasts coffee.




This is a jewelry hanger made out of driftwood we found on the beach. Eli has already picked from this selection the jewelry he wants me to wear for Karissa's wedding. It is, of course, the most gaudy (umm, I mean beautiful) necklace and bracelet I have. He pretends to detest anything "pretty," but he sure enjoys beautiful things. Just don't call them "beautiful."




We added this shelf over the kitchen sink. It gives me something other than a 50-year old backsplash to look at.




Copied off of Jodi.




This was my birthday project. Kendall let me run off for the afternoon on my birthday. I went to a friend's cabin on the lake. I sat at the picnic table and painted this. Then I sat in the sun on the dock. Oh, for summer days long past...

4 comments:

Twila said...

Thanks for the pictures,I love them all but my favorite is the barbed wire cirle and saying that is simply said. what other junk was with the window? any thing I might want : :)
Mom H.

Jen Bontrager said...

Oh, Jodi will be so proud. Well done! Can't wait to see it in person.
This doesn't have anything to do with your post, but I thought you guys would get a kick out of it- the word I have to type to be able to post this is, are you ready for this- "pubic". Here goes!

Jodi said...

I am proud! I love everything you have done! That window is SOO cool! Was it seriously already painted that really cool color? You MUST return to the sight of the dumpy old house and collect more treasures! Jen- "pubic" seriously? I think it would be fun to have everyone who publishes a comment, let us know what silly word you have to type. Here goes mine- "jachi"
pronounced "jachee"

karen said...

If anyone wants to check out the junk site for themselves, just come up and we'll be happy to take you out there!