Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Suppertime

I noticed that I've been bragging a lot in my recent posts. So, in that spirit, I want to talk about the supper I made. I made ceviche, which we learned to like in Ecuador. Out of good old fashioned walleye! I also made ensalada rusa, which doesn't look so appetizing, but is yummy. I must say that I was rather impressed how walleye could turn into something as gourmet as ceviche.

Here we are ready to enjoy a wholesome family suppertime together.


Yummy, if I must say so myself!

The boys thought they were so hilarious when they set Kendall's place with a tiny fork and spoon.


Now Eli thought he was so hilarious when he tried to get a cookie from the container and ended up with 4 stuck together.

Oops! This might be a more realistic picture of family suppertime together. Evan is explaining why he doesn't have to wear a bib (he'll lean over his plate) and who knows what kind of sinister plan Eli is coming up with to make supper more "interesting." Maybe he was thinking about how he would later drop his cantaloupe on the floor. Too bad you can't enjoy the sound effects of our "wholesome family suppertime." It actually went better than sometimes tonight and I (wholesomely) initiated a conversation about our best and worst parts of the day. The boys both enjoyed working on the 4-wheeler with Dad. Their worst parts were "washing dishes" (Eli) and "picking up my stuff" (Evan). Eli explained to me that washing dishes will always be his worst part. What?! If they've already labeled chores as bad, they've got a lot of worst parts coming up!

Eli likes Racheal Ray and often asks me to pretend I'm Racheal Ray when they're watching me cook. Tonight I did my show on how to make ceviche. The only thing is that, since I was making ceviche from walleye, I felt like I was on a cross between Racheal Ray and the Red Green Show.

Since I'm rambling about Racheal Ray, I have to tell about our Racheal Ray show when we were camping. We video-taped Kendall making lunch over the campfire and called it the Kendall Ray Show. Mr. Kendall Ray asked a special guest, Eli Hochstedler, to come up front and explain how to build a fire. Eli took his role very seriously and did a good job explaining how to do it. (He even specified that kids should use their dads.) After he was done, the audience went wild with applause. Kendall later told me that Eli confided in him that he was nervous. :) Sweet!

4 comments:

Charlotte said...

I had to laugh out loud on the last comment - how cute! We do miss you guys!

Angie said...

I love hearing your creative parenting/children antics! You are a wholesome mom, and don't forget it!

Dave Gloria said...

I thought that ceviche looks and sounds good but I was concerned when we went online and discovered that the walleye is cooked by being mixed with the citric acid from the tomatoes instead of a good old camp fire.
By the way, I think Evan deserves to try eating without that bib. It looks like he has the technique down pat. dave

Nathalie said...

I love the idea of a cross between Racheal Ray and the Red Green Show--wish we could have been there to enjoy the results with you. And I love that Eli specified that kids should use their dads when teaching how to build a fire.
Rod