Monday, September 8, 2008

Bountiful Blueberries!


We went blueberry picking again last week. Kendall wanted to take a picture of me with my blueberries. I will admit that this photo is rather deceiving...Even though I was picking furiously and I thought surely I must be keeping up with Kendall...he filled one bucket and then finished filling mine.

Still no bears in the blueberry patch...

By the way, a gallon of blueberries is selling for $35 here. Might be a decent little side job! Until frost, that is. Then they're done. And the way things are feeling around here, frost could come soon. It was hot (well, Northwest Ontario's brand of hot) literally through the end of August. Overnight before September 1 or 2 it got cold. And now it's not hot anymore. Now we're chilly. We don't currently have a working furnace in this house. September 15 is the big day when the repairmen are coming. Until then we will be using electric heaters, a down-filled duvet, and a heated mattress pad. And I'm not joking.

4 comments:

Jen Bontrager said...

Way to go, Sal!

Twila said...

Kendall, just checking to see if there were any rocks in the bottom of your blueberry bucket?
Dad

Dave Gloria said...

Hey, just where were all those blueberries "hiding", when WE were looking for them?! Hmmm...maybe there were some "divided"!? interests, with a big powerful 4-wheeler that "NEEDED" to be driven...anyway, it looks like you found the perfect blueberry patch! Good for you... Mom

Dave & Gloria said...

Karen, I sure enjoy reading about your experieces in Red Lake. Your style of writing is fun to read. Did you freeze some blueberries or just eat them quickly? Jodi's garden is still putting out big amounts of produce. Yesterday Jodi gave me permission to pick grn beans & tomatoes. The golf cart was loaded w/ a bushel of tomatoes & 2 I.C. buckets of beans! Leah & I managed to sneak a few handfulls of red raspberries before Jodi caught us. YUMMY! I want to say Karen, our family really does miss you all, but we are not mad at you for choosing to live for a year in Red Lake. We are hoping tho, that you will return.... We'll love you forever tho, regardless where you choose to live. Aunt Julie