Saturday, September 20, 2008

Not a Drunk

This afternoon I walked down to a shop and on my way home I passed a woman sitting on the curb.

"Nice day," she said.

"Beautiful," I agreed.

Staggering up ahead of us was a drunk man. He turned around to see where the conversation was coming from. Then turned to keep walking, waved his arm and slurred, "Praise the Lord!"

I caught up to him and started to pass him. He slurred something else to me.

"You're looking for drunks?" I repeated back to him.

"Yeah."

"Good luck," I said as I kept walking.

"You a drunk?" he asked.

"Nope!"

He congratulated me, "Good for you!" and sent me on my way.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You have a gift with words, Karen. I really like that piece of writing in your sidebar. And I really like having you for a neighbor and friend!
Kendra

The Hochstedlers said...

That was a hillarious post Karen - the whole interaction and how you wrote it out... :o) Fernie