Thursday, July 17, 2008

What Bible School is All About

Eli has loved Vacation Bible School. Tonight was the last night. I helped and he was excited about me helping his class. It made me feel so special. :) I decided that I better be involved like this while it's welcomed. It won't be too long until he won't be so excited about me being in his class.

Eli has had a lot of fun and has really gotten into the contests. The three classes had yelling contests and there was another contest between the boys and the girls. As he emphatically explained to us tonight (regarding contests),"That's what Bible School is about!" One night he had to use the "washroom" during the final assembly. I waited outside the door. Upstairs I heard the first group yelling in their contest. All of the sudden Eli came tearing out of the bathroom and flew toward the stairway. He looked excitedly panicked. I wondered if he had psyched himself into thinking that a monster was chasing him out of the bathroom. I said, "What's going on?" As he shot past me, he yelled, "I have to help my team win!" It's been fun to watch Eli screaming like crazy to help his team win. He is, perhaps, more competitive than I realized.

And I will add to "what Bible School is all about." This week we had kids coming from some pretty different situations. At one extreme, you have Eli, who is perfectly behaved because he has perfect parents. (Except when he was crawling over chairs and making farting noises during the Bible lesson and running away from me in the sanctuary and picking his nose...) Okay, maybe I better delete the 2 occurrences of the word 'perfect' in that sentence. At any rate, we had kids coming from fairly stable and loving homes and also kids coming from pretty unstable situations. I was aware that even though kids were wiggly and hyper and distracted, they were hearing truth and they were around adults who respected and cared for them. As our?? (I guess he's my pastor now) pastor commented, "We're not just working with kids, we're working with future adults."

No comments: