Friday, July 11, 2008

Evan's first fish!




Wednesday night it finally warmed up enough that we could go out in the boat again. Eli, of course, caught the most fish. But he got bored and decided that he was done. Evan had only been using his fishing rod with a plastic fish on the end and had mostly been content with that. But since Eli's rod still had a minnow on the end, I gave it to Evan and let him cast with that for awhile. I was just letting him play around, since he doesn't have the patience to let the hook just sit close to the bottom- which is, according to my husband, the local expert, the "proper" way to catch a walleye up here. He is dangerous with that little hook. I, sitting the closest to him, nearly got hooked a few times myself. Anyway, Evan was casting and reeling it in. We weren't really paying attention to what he was doing. All of the sudden I saw a fish appear over the side of the boat! He had reeled in a little walleye without any of us knowing! Of course we all cheered and made a huge deal about it. And, of course, I hadn't brought the camera.
So these pictures come from later, after we got back to the house. In the first one he is actually holding his fish. Then he saw that there was blood on his hands and started freaking out: "Blood on my hands! Blood on my hands!" Maybe his conscience about fishing affects him differently than it does the rest of the family...




3 comments:

Jen Bontrager said...

Hey there you Canadians! Love the pictures and stories! Isaac said it makes him kind of sad to look at pictures of Eli, but he and Jesse loved the spicy pee story! Congrats to Evan on becoming a fisherman!

LaRonda said...

Hey guys, looks like you guys are having fun. I was jelous looking at the pictures of you guys out on the lake and then imagining what fresh walleye would taste like now. So happy Eli found a new friend. Take care!

The Hochstedlers said...

Hey Karen...
I keep thinking of you as we continue to pack and see people for our goodbyes :o) I love your stories... so keep them coming! One thing to keep in mind as you chronicle this journey of yours is that I heard there's places on the web that turn your blog into a book. Great idea eh?
Love, Fernie