Friday, July 18, 2008

Guest House

Right now I'm sitting in Kendra's apartment across the hall from ours. Evan is taking his nap in her guestroom so that he can sleep undisturbed. It is, once again, a time when we are hosting guests. A large group of teenagers is using the house today while they wait for the rest of their group to be flown in from several different reserves. They've been teaching VBS all week.

But this is nothing compared to last weekend. Oh, no.... Last weekend we were planning on having quite a few people in and out during the day on Friday and Saturday, but no overnight guests. But the weather didn't cooperate. It was too rainy to do much flying. I counted 115 people using these facilities over the weekend with lots of people sleeping here Saturday night. The number of people sleeping here was much larger than the number of beds. They graciously used the floor.

Because the weather was so rainy, we were on a pile inside. Kendall and I took the opportunity to take the boys out for lunch on Saturday and do some things like that. By Saturday evening, we didn't really have any place to go. Businesses close down early here. The group that was occupying our apartment offered to let us eat part of the meal they cooked. That was nice since they were using our kitchen and our table and our dishes and our oven. Then they sat in our living room for a Bible Study. Part of another group was upstairs. Kendra was gone, but a guest was staying in her apartment. A large group was in the mission office's basement, which is on this property. And it was raining. So I put on a raincoat and let the boys ride bikes in the rain for awhile. Finally we went into Kendra's apartment and played games with the boys. We went to bed with the loud sounds of a Star Wars movie on the other side of our bedroom wall. Thankfully it soon ended and all the moviegoers went to bed- in our extra bedroom and on our apartment floor.

By Sunday afternoon when the weather finally stayed clear enough for everyone to get out, I was singing hallelujah. Eli and Evan were disappointed. How boring to only have 4 people in our apartment!

Last night a small group of 9 came back from a reserve- a day earlier than originally planned. They were happy to see our family again after so much rainy bonding time last weekend. After overhearing comments about watching Star Wars in our living room again I decided to take action. At 10:30 I finally said, "Can I, in the most friendly way, kick you out of our apartment?" They graciously allowed me to kick their backsides up the stairs to their rooms. And even though I had to shoo them out, they really have been my favorite group so far.

July is the busiest month with groups. Assuming that everyone really will leave tonight as planned, we will have made it through the craziest 3 weekends. This has been a lot of work and has taken flexibility, but it has been good for us. I have met some interesting people and the group that is on our deck right now really bonded with Eli and Evan. (They were stranded with us 2 nights longer than planned.) It really was good for me to have loads and loads (10, to be exact) of laundry to wash and hang out my first Monday morning on my own in a new town. (By the way, my washing machine was in many pieces at the time, but Kendra was kind enough to let me use hers.) It was good for me to have this responsibility right away and, at the same time, it will be good for me when everyone (hopefully) gets on the bus and heads for home tonight.

No comments: