Monday, July 7, 2008

Groceries

Wednesday morning Mom and I went grocery shopping. By the end of the outing, I was wiped out. It was the prices that did it.
Milk: $5.69/gallon
Tortillas: $3.29/dozen
Life Cereal: $5.69
Cheese: $8.99/620g (1.3669 lbs)

Mom was so wonderful and told me that this trip to the grocery store was on her. She could see how overwhelmed I was and banished me to some place far away from the "till" while they were ringing us up. I promise I wasn’t trying, but I heard the cashier say, “That will be $166- Oh, this too?”

All this has made me want to ration food. It has made me think about how we, as North Americans, have way more than our share of the world's food. Don't I have a right to get whatever kind of food I want and to have as much as I want? I demand lots of choices and cheap prices! Hmm... This year could be good for me to think about my right to the world's resources in a different light.

By the way, Evan has taken a liking to powdered milk. Kendall was mixing some for a group we hosted. He wasn't having the best of luck with it and was having problems with it being lumpy. Never fear, though, Evan was there to help. Kendall said that Evan was grabbing the gooey glops of milk and eating them. Now Evan begs for powdered milk.

1 comment:

Ben Bontrager said...

Hey, you Canadians! We miss you already. Isaac says it makes him kind of sad to look at pics of Eli, but he and Jesse loved the spicy poop story. Nice catch Eli, and happy birthday, Kendall. Love from the Bontragers.-Jen