Monday, July 7, 2008

Mosquitoes

The mosquitoes so far haven’t been the swarms that I remembered from earlier visits. But they are vicious. Within a few hours of being here, I was getting pretty good at killing mosquitoes mid-flight. I took the liberty of bragging about this new-found skill to Kendall. His response was, “Well, you get good when it’s a matter of life and death.”
After only a few days, it looks like Eli is sweeter than Evan. Or something. Eli has bites all over his head. In his hair. Poor guy. But even though he’s scratching a lot, he doesn’t complain much. I told Mom (who is very anti-buzz) that we need to buzz his hair so we can see where all the bites are. Three days in Eli finally had a realization. He told me a bit ago, “Mom, Canada has bad bugs.” Judging by the swarms that I remember, he hasn’t seen the half of it yet.

Evan is our little entomophobic. So he has not been too impressed with the small wildlife here. He has started being okay with smashing mosquitoes. That is until they land on him. He was sitting in his room yelling for me. There was a mosquito sitting on his leg enjoying the peace of not getting smashed by the leg’s owner. So I came in and took care of it for Evan. He was very concerned and said, “Bug eat my leg!” I decided it was time to break the truth to him. So I told him that yes, it would, but that it would only eat a little bit of his leg.

No comments: