Friday, March 23, 2012

A Weekend Adventure- Part 5

Sunday evening we packed up and headed back to the ferry.  There were some tense moments as our schedule got tighter and the bus’s departure time loomed.  But we made it to the bus stop in time.  As we stood there waiting, someone offered me his seat.  I sat down next to his wife.  Soon she and I started a tentative conversation.  I was using Spanish, hoping to be understood.  After a few comments back and forth, I noticed that we were understanding each other well.  That was strange.  Then she mentioned that they were tourists from Argentina.  A ha!  So we were speaking Spanish to each other!  And that’s why we could keep our conversation going!  Now, I’m not one to usually enjoy talking to strangers (though I find more and more of my mother in me as the years go on), but it was so nice talking to her.  I think it was such a relief to talk to someone who I understood well and who understood me.  Meanwhile, the husband had struck up a conversation with Kendall in English.  What a nice little break from all the confusion. J

Our bus ride home was long and arduous.  Lots of speeding up and slowing down, shifting, up and down mountains, curves.  Eli and Evan were asleep quickly.  Kendall not too long after.  This uncomfortable mama had a bit more trouble.  But we eventually made it back to the bus terminal in the city around midnight.  Fernie bravely ventured out and picked us up there.   45 minutes later we were home.  Oh so tired.  But our dedicated sons had gotten hooked on journaling and insisted on writing in their journals before going to sleep.  I let them- I was still in awe that they were into this new activity.

1 comment:

Kirst said...

that is so cool that your boys got into journaling! sometime i'd love to read whatever sections they would allow me to :)