Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Toy Library and Simple Happiness

This morning I went to a toy library activity with the kids. We all met at the dock and took the ferry across the lake to Mackenzie Island. There were a lot of moms and kids there. Many of them I hadn't met before.

Showing up at toy library activities still always makes me nervous even though I usually do it 2 times a week. But even though I'm not completely comfortable there yet and even though I don't know that any of the women would be classified as 'friends' yet, I do feel a certain amount of community with them. The group changes quite a bit from week to week, but little by little I am getting to know people. Unfortunately, two of the women I've felt more connection with are leaving soon. Both of them grew up in Red Lake. One is only back in town visiting family for a month and the other one is married to someone from the States who is in Iraq right now and comes home in a month. Then she will move back to the States to be with him. So even though I'm disappointed about that, it still feels good to connect with someone.

Anyway, we had a pretty good morning at the island. And I found out some valuable information from the women- there is a "Veggie Man" who comes to town every Tuesday during the summer. He comes to Balmertown (a neighboring community) from Manitoba with a truckload of produce. So I stopped in there on the way home. I was so happy to find corn and cucumbers and green beans. So I pulled out of there and headed on home to Red Lake. The sun was bright and the sky was blue and I realized that I felt very content. Just then I saw a huge bear cross the road a ways in front of me. That is not that common of a sight. So I felt very happy! (Yes, I have been greatly influenced by my outdoors-loving husband.) Granted, within a few minutes my contented state was broken by a piercing howl from the back seat as Big Brother flung the heavy seat belt buckle at Little Brother. But it was a good 2 1/2 minutes of simple happiness.

No comments: