Tuesday, August 26, 2008

"Stop the Yelling"

I'm starting a "Stop the Yelling" campaign at our house. Unfortunately, I'm kind of alone in campaigning for the cause. But then again, I'm the main one it applies to.

I confess, I am a bit of a yeller. So I've effectively taught my children how things work with me. When I say something to them, That's Nice But Who Cares. When I raise my voice a bit, Maybe We Should Think About Doing What She Says. When I really raise my voice and turn into Godzilla, Okay, She Seems Serious And We Better Follow Her Instructions.

So since I've been training them how this works for several years now, I'm expecting that it may take some time for all of us to learn to communicate differently. Somehow, I need to teach them that I'm serious even when I don't raise my voice or transform into some horrid monster.

I'm at somewhat of a loss of how to work on this, so any good ideas would be welcome. And I'll plan on posting in a week or two to let you all know how it went and how I was totally cured of being a yeller. (Or maybe I won't be really cured of it until I get to Heaven and I don't think you can blog from there.) But I'll work at it anyway.

1 comment:

marilyn bontrager said...

Well.. dear Karen, what can I say..? I used to be a yeller too until i took on the job as a Bus Driver... I found that when I engage in in-appropriate behavior and let my "out of control kids" hook me into their saga of emotions tehn they have won!! It took some very huge blunders on my part! Trust me I have yelled plenty... so much that i believe i may have damaged my vocal chords! l.o.l. However I am being very much challenged with my new bus route that takes me out into the bhunies of Monroe Cty. I feel like I'm driving in the hills of Kentucky... It is simply beautiful however some of my "precious cargo"... could be admitted to the local zoo... for their monkey like actions! I try my dardest to stay calm... talk very quiet when they are out of control... speak firmly and simply say "I need you to do ___" my patience has been severely tested this past week... so much so that I radioed in to my ele. school for the principal to meet me to talk to one of my kids... all i can say is hang tough young mommie..love you marilyn