Friday, October 16, 2009

Mrs. Moose Hunter

I didn't know about one little part of the job description when I signed up to be Mrs. Moose Hunter. No one told me about this little part. In fact, I think Mr. Moose Hunter is a bit surprised himself.

You see, moose season opened last weekend. Thanksgiving happened to fall on the same weekend, but Opening Weekend has far more importance than thanksgiving day. The attendance at our Sunday service was strangely low. Kendall, however, was not out moose hunting. He and I hosted a Thanksgiving meal on Sunday, then he worked Monday through Wednesday.

While he was at work, I learned an important lesson. Up here, in moose country, if the real hunter is not available, the missus is expected to step in and talk hunting.

So, Wednesday morning, a hunter friend of Kendall's called. He had just spent 5 days out in the bush and was ready to talk about his hunting experiences. Oh, Kendall's not there? Well then, the wife's ears work. So we talked hunting. I have learned to hold up my end of the conversation fairly well and my interest in the subject isn't even all acting. I really am interested in how big a moose is and how much it weighs. Well, to a certain point. But I did my wifely duty and talked hunting until this buddy ran out of stories.

That evening Kendall was still working. I was at the same get-together as another hunter friend. He singled me out (as the wife of a Moose Hunter) and he and I had a good hunting conversation. I dutifully listened to his stories and even added my two cents.

The next day...another hunter friend and another hunting conversation.

Kendall has given me pointers. My first hunting conversation as Mrs. Moose Hunter didn't impress Mr. Moose Hunter so much. It was a few weeks before opening weekend and I gave too much information, too many specifics, about where Kendall would be hunting. So I rehearsed this line: "Oh, out Suffle Lake somewhere." Kendall has given me the stamp of approval on my later conversations as I've related them to him. Vague, but intriguing, hinting at my Mr. Moose Hunter's skill and bravery.

I'm happy to say that I'm learning the skill of conversing in "hunterese" and discovering the mysterious facets of being Mrs. Moose Hunter.

4 comments:

Karissa said...

that is hilarious. fortunately farmers don't expect me to know anything about farming or bale beds just because rylan does. i maybe should run my conversation staples (such as, "I don't know anything about farming.") by rylan so he can tell me if they're appropriate or will make him lose business b/c his wife's kind of out of the loop.

Glenda said...

Karen, you crack me up! I love reading your blog. Maybe someday you'll have to write a book. =)

LaRonda said...

That is so awesome...you are fitting in Mrs. Moose Hunter :-) You should start righting kids books...you would do great!!!

Jen Bontrager said...

That's awesome! Way to go Mrs. Moose Hunter!