Saturday, October 31, 2009

The Moose

Warning: If you are a person that doesn't like to look at gross and/or dead things, do not proceed.



Meet "the calf."






Kendall getting his marinated jerky ready to smoke.

My creative and innovative husband made this smoker and is learning how to use it.


Packaging the smoked meat.


The neck. Oh yummy.

We processed the meat on our own. (And I can say 'we' because I helped for several hours after Leonard and Twila left.) Kendall and Leonard cut it up and put it all through the grinder once. The next day Kendall and I added spices for sausage and bologna. We re-ground it and put it into intestinal packages. (Yes, some real and, thankfully, some not-real intestines.)

We ended up with a lot of meat. According to my calculations, we have 7 packages of breakfast sausage, 6 packages hamburger, I-don't-know-how-many packages ground sausage, 10 large rolls of summer sausage, 11 packages of ring bologna, 6 pounds of jerky, and I-don't-know-how-many roasts. And that's not even all the moose! Leonard and Twila also have a lot of it.

I'm thankful for all the meat.

And did I mention that Kendall still has a bull tag he can fill? That means that one of the good things about getting a moose (hunting being done) does not apply in our situation.

2 comments:

Dave & Gloria said...

Thanks Karen, for posting the great photos! The "man" looks very pleased! Mom

Glenda said...

Wow! I'm so happy that you have all that meat in the freeze and that the hunt was successful! I'd love to try some of that bologna and jerky when I come out at Christmas. =)