Friday, February 6, 2009

Thoughts From the Road- Feb.4

And we’re off! Heading back home to Red Lake. Am I ready? How do I feel about it? Those are questions that I’m trying not to spend too much energy on. When I think of night time in our house, I feel happy. I’m ready to be in the comfort of my own home and sleep in my own bed. I’m ready to have the boys in their beds and stop living out of a suitcase.

Daytimes look a bit different. I feel kind of a bored, cooped-up-ness. Before we left, Kendall and I decided that he would work like a madman, picking up extra shifts and trying to make up for our 2 ½ weeks without work as best he could. The days are long and though I end up having plans most days, I was struggling with a bored desperation. (That’s not really a good way to put it, but I’m having trouble knowing how to describe it. It’s not exactly bored, not exactly desperate, not exactly depressed, not exactly cabin fever- But a bit of all of those things.) Anyway, for the next few weeks, Kendall will be working a lot again, so it’s back to long days for both of us.

So there are some aspects of going home that look big, but we are so ready for routine and closets. I’m looking forward to having my neighbors back and to reconnecting with people again. I’m looking forward to cooking and getting back into a routine of…well…we’ll say healthy living rather than eating tons of cheesecake and doing so much sitting around.

Well, so much for not spending too much energy on these questions. What it all boils down to for me, is that we’re going home and it will be fine. I said goodbye to family and friends again, but it’s also good to go home. And I really do feel like it will be fine- even good.

No comments: