Tuesday, February 10, 2009

"Injas," Baseball and Goldmines

So today after soup kitchen, Eli decided that he and Evan would play "Inja," better known as "Ninja." Eli was working on building his tough image and planning what they would do.

"Today the ninjas are going to..." he started absently.

Evan finished his sentence for him: "Play house!" Not exactly the ninja-like activities Eli had in mind.

Thankfully, my little ninjas have now moved on from their violent ways and they're playing baseball in the living room. I, with all my extensive knowledge of sports, had to instruct them that there are no such things as 4th and 5th bases. So I set them straight and they laid out the correct number of couch pillow bases. Currently, they are sitting on the floor several feet apart facing each other. Evan is swinging an unfortunately and dangerously long "bat" as Eli pitches my slipper to him.

I overheard Eli's comment: "I want to be a baseball player when I grow up. Actually, I want to do what Daddy does. Except at a goldmine."

Speaking of Eli's aspirations of working at a goldmine, here is a conversation from our long hours in the car last week: (Eli had just written a sentence after having spelling dictated to him.)

Kendall: You're going to be writing books soon!
Eli: No, I'm not gonna be one of those. You'll see.
Karen: What are you going to be?
Eli: Not telling. (pause) It's something like a cowboy that finds gold.

2 comments:

Angie said...

As always, love reading your kid stories. You could write a book someday, if you want to be "one of those." Sorry we missed you on the Ohio leg of the loooooong trip- sounds like it was packed full with family.

Dave Gloria said...

I love the stories.
We'll need to keep track of everything the boys want to do.
Dave