Monday, November 24, 2008

I mentioned in an earlier post that we were painting our living room. Why, you might ask, would you do that when you're getting ready for company? Because they put new carpet in today. Well, in 2 of 4 rooms. That means that Saturday morning we tore up all the living room carpet so that I could paint before the new carpet came today. So we had a very dirty weekend of great disarray. (But the walls are beautiful.) I knew the carpet was going to be put in today and tomorrow (our overnight company coming tomorrow), but I thought, "That's okay, we'll just hang out in Kendra's apartment and I can do any food preparation over there." Wrong. Her carpet is also torn out with all her furniture in the kitchen.

So we needed to vacate the premises today. Kendall has been needing to go to Dryden sometime for something with our 4-wheeler. He wasn't working today so we decided this would be a good time to go. (It's a 2 1/2 hour drive- you know...the closest McDonald's, the closest Walmart.) Then I started thinking, "Hey...Eli has school Monday...maybe we could find a sitter for Evan and have an 8 hour date!" Woo-hoo! So we arranged it all. I was so excited.

Unfortunately, we got a late start and were so rushed during our precious time in Dryden. See, when you go to the famed Dryden, you have to do everything that you can't do in Red Lake. So we had to take the 4-wheeler to inspection, go grocery shopping (you can do that here, just for a lot more money), go to Walmart (so many things that you simply can't buy in Red Lake), go to a different store to invest in some good mitts and a hat, and go to TacoTime. We even had to cut some things out! When we had to get our date food to go, that about did me in. I was so disappointed and near tears. But I got over the worst of it and we had a good drive back.

It was so nice to talk for hours on end with no interruptions. I really don't know when the last time was that I had 8 hours away from my sons. And I was happy to see them this evening.

So we got home and most of our household possessions were piled in the kitchen. Company is coming tomorrow. The living room and most of our bedroom is done. The other 2 rooms are in disarray. Evan is sleeping on the floor in our room and Eli is in our closet on the floor. Kendall is working nightshift. I'm slightly overwhelmed.

But our living room looks so nice! Beautiful new carpet and pretty walls!

And we have dear friends coming to visit! That makes me happy!




2 comments:

Dave & Gloria said...

Yahoo...life is such a mix of ALL the above...what challenges...and joys...thanks for the update...I always am thankful for the glimpse into your world. Have a great time with the Bontragers!

Love, Mom

Twila said...

Yahoo.... from this Mom too. what color did you paint the living room? I to love your updates, Glad you got time together, Blessings and a Happy Thanksgiving with Friends.