Thursday, November 20, 2008

Hope

I'm choosing to put my hope in God. The 2 biggest things that have been stressing me out lately are parenting issues and finances. Oh, I try to pray about it- "God, give us wisdom…blah, blah, blah..."

But then I try and try to come up with the perfect solution. Parenting-wise, is it in a book setting on my shelf? If I just disciplined myself to read those books. Surely the answer is there. Then if Kendall and I would sit down and brainstorm, armed with those ideas, surely we would come up with the correct equation: Do this and this and the boys' behavior will equal this. Surely the solution is there, if I just take time to find it.

And financially, I look over current bill, future bills, current and future paychecks. Okay, if we do it this way, we'll get it right. Or maybe it's time to sell the truck. Surely there's a solution waiting to be found. We can work this out.

Well, these things aren't wrong. I (maybe) need to read parenting books. Kendall and I need to have intentional discussions about parenting strategies. (But remembering that our boys are individuals with their own wills and minds. I don't want to just work voodoo equations on them to equal the correct behavior. Well, maybe I do, but I know that's not right. Sigh.) We do need to think seriously and intentionally about our finances.

But those aren't the places to put my hope.

This morning I'm choosing to put my hope in God. "But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

No comments: