Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Two of a Kind

Poor Kendall. Poor Eli.

If there was one word to describe the weather this "summer," it would be horribledespicablecoldcrappybadwetangry. Oops, did I just put a feeling word in there? Sorry, I got carried away. Anyway.

So for some reason, the first week of September decides to be completely beautiful. Autumn felt sorry for us. It is gorgeous and warm and sunny and bright. And of course, this is the week school starts and a week that Kendall has to work Monday through Thursday from before the boys wake up until bedtime. Then he has to work Saturday and Sunday nights. And last I looked at the forecast, next week was going to be more of that word I said earlier. We'll hope it's wrong again.

It has been very hard for Kendall to be inside every day over this rare sunny time. He has complained more than usual about this and, amazingly, that is not very much. I really am amazed at his attitude. Even though he tells me that he hates being inside this week, I would never be able to maintain his overall attitude.

And then there's Eli. He's in the same boat as Kendall. He's in school every day. We have the Lyndaker family staying here again. So that is a lot of fun Eli is missing out on while he's in school.

Well, today we went blueberry picking with the Lyndakers and another of Eli's most favoritest families. I purposely didn't mention it to Eli. But he found out this morning before school. It was very hard for him. He wanted everyone to postpone it until he wasn't in school. After a short time of complaining, he got on with life. And with a very good attitude, I might add.

So I told him about Daddy's predicament and affirmed both of them for their good attitudes about missing out. Eli doesn't always get over things so quickly, but today he really reminded me of Kendall.



Speaking of similarities to his father, I have to tell a little story from last week. We were out blueberry picking with my parents. (It's a big thing here. Right, Twila?) The best blueberry patches are out in the bush on big sections of land where it's been logged. So it's fairly rugged terrain and covered by bushes. Pretty close to Blueberries For Sal. Anyway, my mom was crouched over picking. She looked up and saw two small legs sticking straight up into the air. Kirsten heard a calm voice from the direction of the legs: "A little help?" Upon investigation, Mom discovered that Eli had fallen straight backwards down a little drop-off. He was on his back, unharmed, with his legs in the air.

It struck us as so funny. So like his dad. What made it funnier was the difference between boys. Trust me, we would have definitely found out in a much more dramatic fashion if my other son would have had a similar mishap. Not sure where he gets the drama... (As I sit here looking around innocently.)

2 comments:

Twila said...

Did, or can you enjoy it for them? I try not to think of everyone picking berries:) maybe if your summer was cool you'll have a late fall and we can go picking yet when we come for moose hunting:)
Twila

Carolyn said...

Sounds like something straight out of "Pooh Corner".
And you and Kendall cultivate and witness this.
Besides tell it.
You are amazing.