Wednesday, September 2, 2009

School Days


Eli started Grade 1 yesterday. (Formerly known as 1st Grade- back in my old life. I've had to train myself to say it this way so I'm not so obviously a foreigner.) It's five days a week, so now we begin many years of the school calendar ruling our lives. I was feeling sorry for Eli in the days leading up to the start of school. He's just happily playing along every day, then BOOM! Five days a week- school. But I also think it's good for him.

Eli was both excited and nervous. Me too. For kindergarten we used to drop off the kids just inside their special kindergarten entrance. Now he uses the same entrance as all the other kids and I'm supposed to leave him in the school yard until the bell rings. !!! I actually plan on staying and watching him play until the bell rings for at least a few weeks.

Anyway, on the way to school yesterday I explained that I would be in the school yard until the bell ring (lots of parents hang out there), then I would leave once he went into the school. Well, after we got there, I realized that several other moms were going to go up to the classroom with their kids. So I told Eli that I'd like to do that and asked if that was fine. His answer: "No." Okay then. But I really wanted to. But should I respect his wishes? But I really wanted to. He's only 5! Finally I told him that I was going in and he agreed that it was okay. I kept my space and helped another little straggler find his way to the classroom. I watched from the sidelines as Eli and the other children found their coat hooks and cubbies. Then they stood to sing O Canada. I didn't hang around too long and then slipped out the door.

I marvel at how brave and flexible kids are. I guess I've been in my share of new situations this past year, but I'm still amazed by kids.

Eli was upbeat after school and said, "I kind of like Grade 1!"

Meanwhile, Evan had his meeting with his teacher. He'll be starting Junior Kindergarten next Wednesday and attending Mondays and Wednesdays. Evan can act shy, so I told him that he needs to answer his teacher's questions. Well, we went in and met her. We all sat on little chairs at a little table. He did great! I was so proud of him. I felt like I was about to burst out in something, though I didn't know if it would be tears or laughter.

Evan explained the worksheets he had completed ahead of time and even used the word "realize," though I doubt Mrs. Morris understood it. He was confident in his counting, then got mixed up in the teens. He looked at me with an embarrassed smile, but was reassured that it was fine.

Evan says he's excited about school. I think it will be good for him because he is very dependent on Eli in social settings. He gets upset if someone else sits beside Eli and he can't. He always wants to play with Eli and the big boys. He gets panicky and mad if Eli runs off without him. He even physically hides behind Eli at times. So I'm glad if Evan can make his own little buddies and find out what he's good at apart from his big brother.

Overall, I'm excited about some of the changes that are coming about with the start of the school year. And we are ready for some routine. Amen.

3 comments:

Dave & Gloria said...

Handsome young chap there...he's looking pretty grown up! Grandma

Twila said...

I would agree, did he grow since the first of Aug? I wanted to cry thinking of him going in with all those kids, keeps nana on her knees.
nana

Jodi said...

Can you believe it? Eli and Leah in school all day? Karen, I wanted to take a picture of Leah standing in front of the bus just before she got in on the first day of school...she said "No, Mom! I'll be so embarrassed! All my friends will see." Silly mommy, I didn't realize she had already made friends with the people sitting on the bus :)