Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Random Thoughts About My Boots (In Relation to My Feet)

Other than our time in the States and a couple weekends away, I am guessing that the number of times I’ve worn shoes out of my home since winter has begun has been less than 10. I wear boots everywhere. If I go to someone’s house or to the school or to the library they usually come off right inside the door. I leave them on at public places and at church.

It is possible that I may be taking this whole Canadian thing a bit too far. It’s just that I don’t slip and slide on the snow in my boots. They keep my feet relatively warm when it’s freaking cold outside. They’re mostly waterproof. All very good things that have helped me be more okay with the winter of Northwestern Ontario.

I thought everyone wore their boots everywhere, and they do wear them lots, but I am noticing more shoes than I originally thought. And I really don’t like the idea of wearing boots to church, then changing into shoes once I’m there. When I walk to church I am definitely wearing boots and I usually wear jeans, so they’re not that noticeable anyway.

But after nearly 5 months of boots and slippers, my feet are feeling the neglect. I’ve been noticing some numbness and aching down my right leg and in my foot. My personal nurse suggested stretching, so I’m doing that. I’m also trading in my slippers for Birkenstocks. So if you were to knock on my door close to bedtime, you might be greeted by me in my fuzzy, red, snowman-speckled pajama pants and my sandals. Peace.