Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sunday at Home

It's Sunday afternoon. I'm at home with a sick boy and a healthy boy.

Eli called me Friday morning from school saying he felt shaky. It was almost their snack time and I wasn't at all convinced that he wasn't just trying to get out of school. So I told him to go back to class and eat his snack, then he could call me if he didn't feel better after that. Pretty soon I received a call from the principal. Oops. She said he really didn't look well. I said, "I'll be there in 5 minutes."

Eli came home and soon had a decent fever. And he was coughing. Kendall had given him ibuprofen during the night for "jaw pain" (a.k.a. ear pain). Eli told me that his ear had drained that morning. He has had ear infections off and on for the past few months. When he was little he had pretty-well constant ear infections until he had tubes put in, but we haven't known of any since then. So we're not sure what's going on right now.

Anyway, back to this morning. Kendall left for work. I finally decided to stay home with the boys. It looked like a long day here at home. But we've made the most of it so far. We had church and everyone had a part. I actually got the boys to stand at the keyboard and sing with me. Then Evan had his sermon, which was telling a short version of David and Goliath. Eli's sermon came next- he chose to read the story of crossing the Red Sea. I gave my commentary after each sermon, so by the time it was my turn to preach, Eli informed me that I had already preached enough. Okay then. It was interesting that the theme of the songs and sermons ended up being about God being with us and us not needing to be afraid.

Then we did a couple little activities and had lunch. Later I put Eli in our tiny bathroom with a book and the hot shower running to try to give him some steam to help his cough. It didn't really help. I found a store that was both open and sold cough syrup (some things are hard to find on a Sunday in Red Lake), so we all ran to the store for the medicine.

Quiet time is just about over. Parts of the road are clear and dry and this time of year it's exciting just to walk on bare ground. So the boys and I decided to go walk on the road this afternoon. Woo hoo! Yesterday, I had my suspicions that we might be spending today at home, so I stopped at the library and got a movie for this afternoon too.

Here are Eli and Evan with their foaming dinosaur this morning. They are both wearing their chosen church attire. Eli left his pj top on, but traded the bottoms for jeans. Evan stayed just the way he was. (He wears that D.C. shirt every night and layers it under his daytime shirts as many days in a row as I'll let him.)

2 comments:

Kirst said...

i love this blog post with the foaming dinosaur, the boys' chosen church attire and the ways you made it an enjoyable Sunday together. :) you are a great mom, karen. tell eli i hope he feels better soon!
love you all!

Twila said...

This Nana is sorry to hear Eli is sick or coughing, I'm maybe the old fashioned kind but I'm sold on Vicks rubbed on his chest with a warm(warmed in the microwave) "rag" pined around his neck, When it got really bad we built a tent over his bed and shot the vaporizer into the tent.a real action but worked every time. Looks like you made a fun morning out of it, Bless you. Hope he's feeling better soon
love to you all
Mom H.