Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Spring

It's officially spring. I can feel it in the air. This is my 3rd spring in Northwest Ontario and I am more in tune with the subtle signs of spring than I was the first spring. Click here to read the (short) list I came up with in 2009.

I'm getting better at picking up on the little changes that show spring is coming now. A week ago I was enjoying warm weather in Indiana. At that time I wasn't sure how it was going to go coming back to the snow and the cold. Kendall sent me a thoughtful email in which he tried to entice me by saying, "I'm sitting by the window watching the birds while the snow is lightly falling." It was not enticing.

But today I could feel spring. I went on a walk this afternoon. Sure, I had to wear my long parka with the fur on the hood, but I could feel the hot sun in spite of the hat and gloves. I was planning to walk for exercise, but my legs shifted into "mosey" gear, so I relaxed and enjoyed the ride. It was nice.

Here are some signs of spring I can see now:
-Water dripping off the roof.
-Bare dirt (mud) to walk on along the side of the road.
-Squirrels. (They must hibernate, because we have not seen any all winter. Or maybe the like our birdseed.)
-The snow is slowly sliding off the roof.
-The snow is heavy and icy.
-We don't have to plug in the van at night. Or start it 10 minutes before leaving in the morning.
-And it just feels different outside.

2 comments:

Twila said...

I told Dad how you could feel spring in the air,and he commented on knowing exactly what you meant! Enjoy! Mom H.

amy said...

It's cold in Indiana again, Karen! Hope you take Vitamin D for that long winter!!!