Thursday, October 7, 2010

October 7

Today is my boy's 7th birthday. I cannot believe it. Especially when I think that he'll be getting ready to fly the coop in 10 short years.

I am so proud of Eli. His sense of humor is really developing. (And it's beginning to look a lot like his old man's.) He enjoys a good pun. He's such a good big brother. They may do their share of fighting, but Eli is very protective and giving toward Evan. Eli is a deep thinker. He sees the deeper meaning behind stories. With a little coaching, Eli can talk about his emotions and attitudes. He tries really hard. He can decide he wants to change something and then do it. He stopped biting his nails when he decided to. In the past few days he has been deliberate about being grateful after a...pep talk from Mom and Dad. He appreciates nature. He's really picking up on reading. He wants to be like Dad. He likes sewing machines and guns. He likes candlelight and wrestling matches. He likes Little House on the Prairie and Star Wars.

By the way, in just the past few weeks Eli has taken off with reading. Before, he just wasn't all that interested. I've always loved reading, so I've been looking forward to this for a long time. But now I am reminded of the downside. There's always a page to finish before he can come help with chores. He wants to try to read while talking on the phone. He wants to read before he's ready for school in the mornings. Oh well, it's so fun to see.

4 comments:

Kirst said...

i'm excited that he's enjoying reading--hopefully he still will be next time i see him so we can read together! :)

Twila said...

yea, something I regret not doing more of, there fore our children didn't do all that much, but I think there pretty smart in spite of ???

Karissa said...

He told me last time I talked to him on the phone that he's not allowed to read while he's talking anymore... I love that! So proud of Eli!

Jim said...

I was a reader too and I still want to say, "Just one more page!" sometimes. I like the deep reading material in the photo. =) Calvin, right? That was always my favourite cartoon.

And I really like the plant too. Looks like a beautiful fall day.
=)Kendra