Thursday, October 14, 2010

October 11

Evan is 5!

Evan is developing his own sense of humor. I'm amazed and amused by the jokes he comes up with. He enjoys being the life of the party and is quite dramatic. He likes to sit on my lap every morning and it's very important to him that I am wearing my fuzzy robe during that time. He folds laundry and is learning to wash dishes. He's very obedient at school- He says it's because he doesn't want to get in trouble. Hmm. Maybe I should start writing names on the board at home or whatever his teacher does that's so threatening. Evan can be quite the pokey little puppy. It's not uncommon for me to give him his clothes in the morning and to find him 10 minutes later lounging on his bed, still in his pajamas. He'll tell me that he forgot to get dressed and "Where are my pants?!" Well, right where I put them when I showed them to you and specifically said, "Here are your pants and your shirt. Put them on." I'll call that carefree, though when I feel frustrated, other descriptive words come to mind.

He's such an affectionate little guy. He's all over Eli, hardly even noticing what he's doing. Recently in music class Evan and Eli were standing and listening to the teacher with their arms all around each other. Eventually there was a little fist bopping the brother's head along with the beat of the song. So the teacher stopped and corrected them, telling them to keep their hands to themselves. I watched from behind. Hands now forbidden, their bodies became glued together. Pretty soon I saw Evan's little hand sneak up behind and rest on Eli's back. I'm not sure if he was even aware of what he was doing. (Of course, then Eli- fully aware of what he was doing- sneaked his arm around the other side to meet Evan's behind their backs, out of sight of the teacher.)

The photo is of Evan on his birthday. He chose Bunny Pancakes for lunch and he also chose to pose like that for the photo.

6 comments:

Kirst said...

i love this picture and the intentionality behind it! :) i also love the story from music class. :)

Dave & Gloria said...

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing... I like the story from music class! Grandma...missing those young chaps

Jen Bontrager said...

His pose reminds me of Rod. Makes me miss you all! Wish we could see and experience all these developments first hand!

Twila said...

The Pokey little Puppy, remind me of his Dad at that age, taking for ever to put on his shoes!! and guess what he is a fine man now!! so I guess no worries eh? love the look of the weather on Oct.11? WOW enjoy see ya soon.
Mom H.

Karissa said...

Great story... I love their touchy-feeliness!

Jodi said...

It is fun to hear of your descriptions of the two boys at 7 and 5. They sure do love each other. How sweet.