Thursday, October 7, 2010

Language

It's so fun to watch/hear language developing. I can't believe how many words and phrases Evan knows...but not quite. On one hand, I hate to tell him what the real phrase is- this innocence lasts only so long. On the other hand, I almost feel sorry for him not knowing what is really being said. I still remember finding out that 'bolleyball' was actually 'volleyball.' There's something sad about realizing that you've had it wrong all this time.

Here are a few:

We were out in the bush and Evan's sense of right and wrong kicked in. Indignant and slightly shocked, he exclaimed, "Eli! Someone glittered a pop can!"

On that same trip, we searched for mushrooms. When I found a bunch of them together, I said, "We hit the jackpot!" For the rest of the hunt, Evan ran around exclaiming, "It's the crackpot!" and "The crackpot trophy!"

Evan and I walked into a store. Some weird song was playing. He said, "I think I renicuz this song!" (recognize)

We were in the van listening to a CD. Evan was quite confused and asked for clarification on a line in the song. "Why are they saying 'lie to your cat'?" After a moment or two of my own confusion, I explained that the line was 'a light unto my path.'

And one last quote from Mr. Ev-
Kendall: "Why are you eating glue?"
Mr. Ev: (caught in the act) "Sowwy." (That would be 'sorry.')

6 comments:

Kirst said...

these are some great quotes! i think the "renicuz" one might be my favorite. :) remember when you wanted to teach your kids to say fla-ler instead of flower? :)

i miss you guys! love you!!

Dave & Gloria said...

Those are great Karen... reminds me of what he said on the phone the morning of Eli's birthday. Since not all of his letter sounds are totally clear yet, it took me just a couple seconds to know I was hearing right... but he was going to get Eli on the phone too, and when Evan said "Go", I was to start singing "Happy Birthday". So that's what we did... only Evan was saying "go" at the same time Eli was saying "Hi Grandma", so Evan had to repeat his directive one more time, then we both sang for Eli, who is now 7! Love, Mom

LaRonda said...

They are so funny!!!! We miss you guys! Happy Birthday Eli!

Karissa said...

I love these stories about these birthday boys! Wish I could come up there and have a birthday party with you!

Jen Bontrager said...

My boys call instructions "constructions." I think I finally corrected it once, but it didn't stick so oh well.

Carolyn said...

From your posts, I would say Evan strengths may mimic his mother's (playfulness with language), and Eli's, his fathers (sensory intelligence)
That's my prediction.