Saturday, June 12, 2010

Rhubarb Slaw

So I have all of this wonderful rhubarb right now. It's a weird vegetable/fruit/stalk/whatever it is. I've made my grandma's Rhubarb Butter Crunch, which is oh so yummy with ice cream. I've made rhubarb muffins. But most recipes I find for rhubarb are desserts. Then I came across a recipe in a Country Living magazine for Rhubarb Slaw. So I decided to try it and the recipe seemed so natural and artistic that I decided to do a blog post about it. (I just read the book, Julie and Julia, which is all about a food blog, so I was under the influence of wishful thinking.)

Here's the recipe:
1 lb. rhubarb, julienned
2 c. apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper
1 1/2 c. light-brown sugar
1 1/2 T. mustard seeds
1 1/2 T. red pepper flakes
1/2 c. peeled, sliced fresh ginger
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 small cabbage, thinly sliced
1 large carrot, coarsely grated
2 T. olive oil

Boil vinegar, 1 T. each salt and pepper, and next 5 ingredients. Pour over rhubarb and let cool. Refrigerate overnight.
Drain rhubarb, reserving 1/2 c. brine. Toss rhubarb with cabbage, carrot, brine, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, until cabbage softens.

Here is my kitchen help. Any time he gets to use a knife, it's cause for celebration.

Not that you can tell here.

Here's my rhubarb soaking in the brine. Like the lilacs (in a Kendall-made pitcher) that I put in for an artistic element? sigh. Where are Phil and Katelyn when I need them?

And here's the finished product.
Okay, so it wasn't all I'd hoped and dreamed. It was good, but it was basically just very spicy coleslaw. It made good Hillbilly Hot Dogs though!

I also tried Rhubarb Iced Tea. Once again, the rhubarb didn't shine- basically just iced tea. Back to my muffins and butter crunch...

2 comments:

Dave & Gloria said...

Karen, I loved your pictures and stories... Mom

Katlyn said...

that rhubarb slaw sounds really interesting. maybe we could use that on one of our tacos for the food cart in place of the ensalada de repollo. this is inspiring me to make a run to the grocery store :)