Saturday, June 12, 2010

Anniversary Canoeing

As we were quietly paddling, I thought I heard something in the water and motioned to Kendall. I actually assumed I was hearing things, but it was fun to try to sneak up on something. Then Kendall told me he really did hear moose grunting. Then we saw a huge dark brown head and a little blond-colored head peak out of the brush. It was a mama and a very little baby! We didn't get a great look at them and they walked back into the bush. So we snuck around the point and paddled very quietly. (Well, I let Kendall do the quiet paddling. He's the expert.) We rounded the point and Kendall spotted them very well hidden in the trees. It took me awhile to see them, but their ears gave them away. They were lying down and seemed to be watching us. I don't know if I ever would have seen them, but their ears kept flicking the flies away every few seconds. It just makes me wonder about the all the well-camoflaged animals that must watch us amble by other times. Kind of neat, kind of creepy.
Unfortunately, these moose never stepped out where we could really see them, but it was still very...special, for lack of a better word.






So, I haven't said where we went because I like to try to make the Hochstedler's figure it out. Do you know? Here's a hint: Kendall has a memory of going there with Mom, Dad and LaRonda. He couldn't quite remember, but it included something about cold or rain.

3 comments:

Twila said...

Moms guess is back halfway creek?
Dad's Bug river? Sufflelake Rd. left at the bridge?
Beautiful pictures,

Dave & Gloria said...

Thanks for all the pictures. I think we need another fishing trip with you guys. Dave

LaRonda said...

Oh man...the test is on. Seeing the first picture I would have to say halfway creek.

Man, I miss this scenery so much!!!!!