Monday, June 28, 2010

Busyness

I am busy right now. When my body is not busy, my mind is still busy. Between Vacation Bible School and hosting the Siloam youth group, I am busier than I remember being in a very long time.
Kendall is busy too. He worked 3 nights since the youth group has come. Then he has taken people fishing.

So here's what happens:

Yes, this is Eli reading Evan a story before his nap. (This is the first we've really done this and it made me quite happy!)

This morning I was outside going over work projects with the youth group. Eli and Evan were riding bike. After awhile Evan was with me and I was vaguely aware that Eli wasn't around. Later, I came in to find him resting on the couch. Then I noticed 2 new band-aids on his knee. Yes, he had fallen while riding bike. And, yes, he had come into the house, pushed a chair to the band-aid cupboard and taken care of his own wound. When I went over to the couch to give him some (tardy) TLC, I saw more wounds. Yes, I felt bad.

Tonight, I had to quickly slurp down my leftover soup while Kendall was working on things outside. Then I rushed off to the church before Bible School. I found out later that while Kendall was still outside, Evan ladled some soup into a bowl for himself, put it in the microwave and sat down and ate it. Yes, that was a first.

I don't know whether to feel proud of my kids for their independence or bad that they did these things on their own. I guess I feel mostly proud of them. I don't feel too guilty because I know this craziness is lasting only a short time.

Also, this is the other side of the story:


Yes, cousin time. They are in their heaven with having 3 cousins here and countless other visitors. (Okay, they are countable, but almost not- 25 other visitors.) Every night they walk home from the church with Corby while I finish things up there. Then I find the three of them playing hockey on the computer when I get home. Eli worked in the yard with Shad and Corby today- like a little man. And Evan snuggled up to Cami today just like to an auntie.

They are getting to know the other youth too and, as always, savoring the attention. We're having fun. I'm bonding with the youth group and wishing I could keep them here. Tonight during a closing song at Bible School, I was watching all the youth (both from Siloam and from Red Lake) and just feeling so proud of them. I almost started crying. (I know, I know- the sheer exhaustion I am experiencing doesn't lend itself to emotional stability.) But even so, I felt happy. And tired.
Good night.

3 comments:

Karissa said...

what a nice surprise to get a new post when you're so busy! glad things are going well. and i'm proud of the boys and their independence!

Jodi said...

This busy mommy is loving the independence that is slowly arriving as our children get to "school age". Pouring their own milk, wiping themselves :), dressing themselves... Glad you're proud too. How sweet that Eli put on his own band aids. I'm use to shreaking and tears when a boo boo happens!

Renita said...

Wow! Busy busy. It's hard to let them grow up like that. I wish they always needed us.