Monday, February 22, 2010

Temptation

Eli was sent to his room when he chose not to obey me. I went to talk with him and told him that before we move on, he would need to apologize to me. (I don't actually know how I feel about forcing an apology, but for better or worse, that was how I handled it.)

I told Eli that I didn't just want him to say "I'm sorry," but to say "I'm sorry for...." and let him fill in the blank.

After awhile, I went back to his room to accept the apology.

"I'm sorry, Mom, for disobeying you and tempting you."

Suppressing a smile, I accepted his apology. Then I asked him, "How did you tempt me?"

"I don't know. I don't know what that means!"

Well. We worked on a definition. And while I may have been tempted to lose it with him, I'll take responsibility for that.

No comments: