Saturday, January 23, 2010

January 23

I just heard from Kendall. He sounded good. He said they're working at Hospital Adventista Diquini. Diquini is also the name of the area. I just googled it and I think I found the exact spot on a satellite map. Click here to see it.

Kendall said they've been leaving for the hospital around 7 am and return around 7pm. They have a 45 minute drive to the hospital from where they are staying.

Kendall didn't even seem to know about the after shock that was bothering me so much last night. He said the night before they felt one while they were in their tent, but Jared, who was on an air mattress, didn't even feel it.

I asked Kendall if it has been traumatic for him at the hospital. He said not really, but that maybe it will hit him later. Sounds like he's just doing what he needs to do right now.

He said it's really unorganized. They have patients out in the yard. When it's time for surgery, they go look for the patient. When they find the patient they bring them in for surgery and sometimes they end up refusing surgery because they don't want an amputation. Then they go look for the next person on the list.

I can't imagine. My first thought is, "Get the amputation! It's better than dying from gangrene!" But we would grieve the loss, deal with the emotions, get a prosthesis and lots of physical therapy and learn to work with it. Who knows if/when these people will be able to get a prosthesis. If they don't work in an office, how will they work without a leg? I just can't imagine the loss this would be in the situation so many people in Haiti are currently in.

Kendall said he hasn't seen any violence or anything like it. Where there are lines, people seem orderly. And he feels like they're staying in a good place.

So I'm feeling good since talking to Kendall. I was getting worried he wasn't going to call tonight either and just felt like I really needed to talk to him. It was good to hear that he's doing well.

4 comments:

Twila said...

Thanks Karen so glad you got to talk to him and that things are going not to bad. I'll talk to ya later.
mom

LaRonda said...

Thanks Karen! I am so glad you were able to connect with him. Glad to hear that he is doing ok. and that you are feeling better too.

Kirst said...

thanks for the update karen! i'm so glad he's been able to call and that things are going pretty well for them. i'll keep praying for all of you.
love, kirst

marilyn bontrager said...

What an amazing opportunity for Kendal! I can only imagine the stories he will have to share... plus being around the devastation would impact you for life!!
We are so blessed and take so many things for granted.