Monday, April 13, 2009

Work and Cinnamon Rolls

Kendall has been working lots of hours again. We’re all tired of it, but very grateful for the income. He’s been dividing his time between the hospital and the nursing home. We looked at the calendar and discovered why he’s so tired: By the time we leave for Stormer Lake Wednesday afternoon, he will have been at work 21 out of 22 calendar days. (That’s 17 shifts- most of them 12 hours.)

Thursday night was one of those rare nights that we actually were in bed at the same time. During the night Evan started crying so I went to help him. When I got back to bed Kendall asked me, “What did Evelyn want?”
“What?” I asked. I was confused because we don’t have a child named Evelyn.
“What did Evelyn want? Whose bell was ringing?” Hmm…

I’ll tell a couple more stories about Kendall since I can’t get him to be a guest author on the blog. He told me that one of the advantages of being a male nurse is the relationship he can have with the male nursing home residents. There’s not the tension of them flirting or being inappropriate. There is one gruff old man that has taken a liking to Kendall. One night as Kendall left his room, this man called out after him, “I love you.” I can just imagine the place Kendall has in these old people’s hearts. He can sit and talk hockey or fishing with the men and the women can mother him.

Although… Kendall did report his first proposition from a patient. A woman in her 90s was having heel pain. Kendall told her to take a seat and he would come look at it. However, one thing led to another and Kendall was completely sidetracked. By the time he got back to her, she was already in bed. The two of them decided that he would check her heel the next day. As he moved from her bedside, she said, “Give me a kiss.”
Kendall said, “Sorry, I only kiss my wife.”
The woman quickly apologized, “Oh! I’m sorry. I didn’t know you were married!”

Anyway, I thought that Kendall deserved a reward for all of his hard work over the past couple weeks. So while he slept Saturday morning, the boys and I made cinnamon rolls. The boys helped me, which normally I’m not too good at- I get too grouchy when flour and sugar are flying everywhere. But it went fairly well and I took pictures to document it. (Thankfully, there is no sound with the pictures because I have to admit that I did get a little bit grouchy.)





Evan was sick this weekend. Beater-licking time was right after naptime. Evan wanted his beater, but took his time to work up the energy to do the licking part.

3 comments:

Hans and Joelle said...

Hans is definitely Kendall's brother (if there was ever any doubt). After elbowing me in face in the middle of the night (on accident of course), he rolled over and exclaimed, "let's get out of here!" And there are many more where that came from...

ribbit98 said...

And they are definitely nephews of their uncle (when it comes to sleep-talking!) The pics of the boys rolling the dough are so sweet!

Jodi said...

It's good to know I am not the only grouchy mommy when little hands and sticky fingers insist on helping me in the kitchen. I'm trying too, Karen, to...er, let them.