Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Kitchen

It's done! And I'm enjoying the cheeriness. As time has gone on, I've started liking the yellow more and more. I still want to make covers for the chairs. I'm planning on buying fabric when were down south next month.

(Only after I took the picture did I notice the various toys peeking out from under the red table. Oops. I wanted to make it look like the kitchen was always this neat. And is the boys' bedroom door open? Is that a sneak peek of the horrendous mess in there?)



We tore the formica off of the two tables that were in here. The tables were old, heavy, and quite large. It took a lot of work to tear off the formica and sand off the glue. Kendall apologetically commented that someone was really happy with their work when the put the formica on. But it served its purpose for many, many decades and now it's time for a new look.



This kitchen is so huge and cafeteria-like. So when we took the freezer out of this corner, I needed something else to fill it up. I imported a chair and an end table from the living room. I found the old lamp upstairs. So far I've really only used it to hold the boys when they get hurt.



We cut this table in half length-wise. I tried to paint it a lighter shade of red. Oh. Light red = pink. Well, after terrorizing the paint mixing people at the hardware for about an hour and after many coats, this will have to do.

I didn't know where to keep the hand-me-down KitchenAid from Mom H. Then I thought, "Perfect! It fits! It's yellow and even though it wasn't made to look retro, it's old enough that it does it naturally!"

The daisy wall hanging says, "For everything there is a season and a time for every matter under heaven." It was a Valentine's gift from Kendall. The photos include the picture of our family walking through the bush and various Canadian scenery shots from different seasons.

The pitcher and bowl are made by our resident potter.

And the towel bar is a disassembled upside-down chair from a garage sale.



The table cloth was a going away gift from my Maple City Health Care friends. I love it.


This is an arrangement of pussy willows. I put them in water to keep them flexible in case I wanted to make them into a wreath. But then I liked how it looked.

There are two problems with this arrangement. First of all, the pitcher is Tupperware. Secondly, Kendall says it overwhelms him.

5 comments:

Twila said...

Very creative Karen I'm very impressed it looks so good. Any comments from the staff?
Mom H.

Jen Bontrager said...

Karen- That looks amazing! You are so creative! I love it!

Dave & Gloria said...

Nice work guys! It must help, in living through the long winter. Mom

Velma Swartz said...

I have a few rooms that need make-overs, how about it, Karen? Looks great.

Anonymous said...

Impressive!! Love the towel holder. I have to agree that you guys are very creative.