Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Non-Announcement

Yesterday I was sitting on the couch with the boys. Eli looked over at my belly and said, "I can tell you're getting fatter." (He has wistfully told me this several times lately, but I don't think it's true.) He reached over and affectionately patted my belly. "I can't wait to have a baby." He really wants a baby and knows that they grow in their mommies' bellies, but doesn't seem to have all the facts.

The boys have babies on their minds. Two family friends have recently added babies to their families and the boys have seen pictures of a baby who will soon be adopted by other friends.

Our good friends in Indiana just had a baby boy. Eli wondered if their baby might be brown or black. I explained to him that when both parents are white, the baby is usually white as well. But now that I think about it, I can understand his question. The baby soon to be adopted by white parents is brown and he knows that we may foster a brown baby. I'm glad this isn't so perfectly clear in his mind.

The other day Evan was helping me wash dishes. Out of the blue, he turned to me and said, "We should visit "Jon Doe" and "Jane Doe's" baby." (I'm not saying their names in order to protect their identities.)

I told Evan, "They don't have a baby."

"Yes they do. You said!"

"No they don't, Evan."

"Well, it gots to be in one of their tummies then." (Hmm... Makes me want to find out if Evan knows something I don't. A certain couple will be getting an email with an important question.)

1 comment:

Matt said...

If you ask Brennan, he'll tell you his new baby brother has "chocolate" skin.