Thursday, July 15, 2010

Visitors

Karissa and Rylan were here for a few days. We had a great time. Lots of fishing and yummy food! We also got eaten by mosquitoes. The bugs decided to show up in full force right when our visitors arrived.

One evening we made sushi. Well, mostly Karissa made it, but we all enjoyed it. Even the boys had some.

A special treat for Kendall and me was that we got to go away overnight by ourselves! That, unfortunately, is a rare occurrence. So we tried out the Fancy New Camper. Unfortunately, it didn't yet have curtains. I guess it didn't really matter since we were out in the middle of nowhere. But when Kendall lit the lantern and we sat in there playing cards, I could feel the bears watching us.

Also on that little camping excursion, we went out in the canoe. We took it way across a long lake. I kept watching some clouds getting closer. We heard very distant thunder a few times, but didn't see any lightning. But at about 10:00pm we decided to head back to camp. All of the sudden, the wind picked up. It was crazy! And rather scary. The wind was against us, pushing us back and toward the shore we were paddling along- very far from our campsite. We were paddling like crazy. I've never paddled so hard. We couldn't even stop for a bit or we would have lost so much ground. (water)
The wind was noisy and the waves rather big. Kendall yelled up to me, "Pull the front end over!" Then he didn't say anything for awhile and we were both just working to keep the canoe going forward. All I could hear repeating in my mind was a panicked, "Pull the front end over!" Oh no! This must be bad if Kendall's scared too! Now I was scared! Eventually, he started talking again and I realized that he wasn't panicking. It was just the yelled instructions playing over and over in my mind that were panicky. It made me realize how much I rely on him for our well-being in the bush and to know what's going on. And I suppose that carries over to other areas in life. Good thing he's a wise and trustworthy bushman!

3 comments:

Jodi said...

Okay Kendall, where was that fish when WE were up there, huh?! You save the best fishing spots for Rylan or somethin? I love how I get to be the first person commenting on all of these...where is everybody already?

Kirst said...

the sushi looks great karissa! and the boating "adventure" sounds scary! hopefully that doesn't happen to us while we're up there. ;)

Dave & Gloria said...

That fisherman and fisherwoman look pretty happy...my question is...who caught the nice walley? Mom