Thursday, July 15, 2010

Camping

We went camping this past weekend with lots of other people. So many kids. They had a blast. We're at an easy stage in this way right now. Our kids are pretty content to be off playing and seldom have problems with their friends that need our intervention. And we don't have to be watching their every move. Because so many of our friends have littler kids, I realize how nice we have it right now.

Unfortunately, I took hardly any pictures at all. But I did hijack Wendy's facebook album from the weekend and posted it on my wall.

This is our New Fancy Camper. Yes, it is old. Yes, it is obnoxious. Yes, it is embarrassing. But we like it. We got it for $20. It was going to be more, but the previous owner (Kendall's co-worker) decided to give us a break "because we're young and when she was young no one gave her a break!" Kendall and I have put some work into it. Kendall ripped out the disgusting stove and an even more disgusting toilet. (Replaced with a 5-gallon bucket when necessary.) The good news is that it stays dry inside. The bad news is that it doesn't stay clean inside. A drive down the dusty gravel road showed us that it apparently is not airtight. It does pretty well at keeping the mosquitoes out, but I'm not convinced it could actually keep a determined bear out. (Which, yes, was spotted Saturday morning very, very near to camp. They didn't tell me because they thought I wouldn't stay a second night. Puh-lease. Kendall was the one who decided to sleep with the chainsaw inside the camper after that.)


Here is the catcher for the baseball game:


Here are the outfielders:


Everyone else left Sunday afternoon/evening. We decided to stay longer. Though they had great fun, the boys really hadn't gotten much attention from us. We knew that if we headed home, we would quickly get busy cleaning up.

After everyone left, I decided that if I was staying an extra night, I definitely needed to wash my hair. So I braved the leech-infested lake to get clean (less dirty). Of course after that, we went to the nearby sand pit that the kids all begged to go to several times a day. (Much better photos on facebook.)

We were glad we stayed. At least until Monday morning when we all woke up with a (grouchy) bang. I won't name any names, but someone was freaking out because he had to pee and the floor was cold and he wanted my socks that his brother was wearing. Then someone else freaked out because when I sat up to scold the little grouchy guy, I pulled the warm covers off of him. Then I freaked out because couldn't he see that I was taking care of a "situation" and can't he just handle the cold air for a couple minutes? Wow. By then the chainsaw was totally useless because any lurking bear got completely freaked out by this loud and grouchy camper and high-tailed it out of there.
Oh well. All's well, even though it didn't end well.

4 comments:

Jodi said...

I see you've christened your new camper! I love how your camper is the COLORS of Canada, but looks like it belongs on the USA flag...hmm. It seems confused. Have you named the sweetie? Are you needing suggestions?

Kirst said...

first of all, eli looks so old in the picture of him playing baseball! secondly, a chainsaw?! that is intense!...makes me wonder if you were at all curious why he kept it at his side if they didn't tell you about the bear sighting! :)

Dave & Gloria said...

I love your (almost!) bear story! Mom

LaRonda said...

Love the pictures! What fun! I have many memories of playing with friends at the sand pit while mom was picking blueberries.