Friday, November 27, 2009

Craft Show

This is what has been consuming my time, energy and thoughts lately. The craft show is tonight and tomorrow. I've been so nervous, not knowing what to expect. Will people show up? Is there even a market for the things I made? How much do I charge? What do I do with pajama pants that don't sell? What do I do with 16 evergreen arrangements if they don't sell? Do I even have 16 friends to give them to? Do I really have friends? Does anyone like me? What am I doing here?! I'm such a foreigner! (Whew! Got a little carried away there... Actually, friendships are one of my very favorite parts of living here and it would be no problem to find 16 places to give arrangements.)

Anyway, I went today to set up and now I'm getting excited. There are quite a few sellers and I realized that I know more of them than I thought I would. And I get to be right beside Sue and her yummy homemade donuts.

Here's how my kitchen looked yesterday. I ventured out into the bush alone to cut these evergreen boughs and I made it back alive. I will not be showing photos of the rest of my house at this time since I have...um...let it go for the past little while.


I was happy with how they turned out. Thanks to Laura for the demonstration she did a couple years ago.


Here are the pajama pants and cloth napkins. (As a side note, I'm going green: I'm going to make cloth napkins for us to use. I hate using so many paper napkins. Is it actually "greener?" I guess you have to wash them. We could just resort to Eli and Evan's method of wiping our mouths on our shirts- they're going to be washed anyway.)


Here's a close-up of the napkin rings I made out of some sort of cable and floral wire. Now I'm really wanting to take a jewelry-making class.

There are also aprons, but I still need to set up that display before the show opens tonight.

4 comments:

Twila said...

oh Karen I'm so excited for you I can't wait to see how you do, be sure and post your whole table and let us know how you do.
Mom H

ribbit98 said...

I can certainly relate to the feelings of panic & despair just prior to the show! It happened to me every time, no matter how successful the previous show/s had been! I applaud you for doing this and I hope it will prove to have been a satisfying and profitable venture for you! It's a great way to connect with the community. But be careful ~ it tends to grow on you and you'll find yourself expanding every year!

Jen Bontrager said...

Way to go, Karen! Your stuff looks great!

Dave & Gloria said...

Looks great, Karen! I hope you have a chance for a couple donuts, between your flock of customers!...wished I could have been there... I stopped by a lady's booth this morning at the Farmers' Market in Goshen, and she was selling live evergreen wreaths and centerpieces, aprons, and a few other things... that was next best! I bought a centerpiece for the kitchen table. A few of the evergreens in it have tiny blue berries on them. (yes, Dave and Kirsten REFRAINED from picking them!?) Love, Mom