Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Homemade Babyfood

Today I was feeling pretty good about myself.  The morning was gorgeous and cold.  My house was lit up with bright sunshine.  And I was getting things done.  Lydia was behaving perfectly.  Seriously, for 45 minutes she was completely entertained by a basket of toys.  Unbelievable!

While Lydia was enjoying her toys, I was whipping up homemade babyfood.  That's right.  I was making healthy, preservative-free babyfood to put in the freezer.  Like I said, I was feeling pretty good about myself.  I cooked everything perfectly and put it in the food processor to bring it to the perfect consistency.

After awhile, Lydia had emptied her basket and was ready for lunch.  I was so excited to serve her my very healthy, freshly-cooked homemade babyfood.  I was SuperMom.

Lydia opened her mouth for the first spoonful.  She made a face.  Then, for what was perhaps the first time ever, she deliberately spit it out!  I gasped!  "Lydia!  Did you just spit out my homemade babyfood?!"  She did.  And when I tricked coaxed her to take another spoonful, she spit that out as well! 

I mean, what could possibly be wrong with green beans?!  With hamburger.  And spinach.  And an apple?  I know, it's a...um...different combination.  But the beef has protein and the spinach has- well, I'm not sure, but it's a superfood.  And the apple, well, it was just lying on my counter, so being the practical woman that I am, it got sliced into the pot too.  (Sorry, Mom.  I know you think serving your grandbaby spinach is close to grandchild abuse and the random apple just adds to that perception.)

I tried again later.  That time, Little Missy made a show out of gagging on my homemade babyfood.  I even tried adding plain yogurt to the mix.  It, by the way, was also homemade.  However, it seems that something went awry with that batch of yogurt.  It's kind of stringy and weird...  Anyway, adding bombed yogurt to the mix probably doesn't help redeem me for serving your granddaughter spinach, does it Mom?

I eventually got Lydia to eat a bit of carrots, which she is used to.  (I'm tired of bright orange poop!)  But she was iffy on eating in general, not really trusting me enough to open her mouth for the spoonfuls I offered her.  So, she mostly had milk for lunch. 

Wait til she sees what's for supper!

3 comments:

Twila said...

What a bummer, pretty young to know what she likes and what she doesn't :0 maybe some Millet coming out in he. JK, hopefully she just has to get used to it.
Mom H.

Jodi said...

I'm on Lydia's side here, Karen. I mighta gagged too.

Dave Gloria said...

I LIKE that story, Karen! Mom