Friday, April 27, 2012

A Dream Come True!

So, Evan got his wish.  He has been wanting blue hair for a very long time now.  He has hardly wavered in his desire for long, blue, hair.  I'm not sure what to do about the 'long' part, but I decided I can do 'blue.'  So, Kendall and I drove all over Winnipeg looking for blue hair for Evan.

We got home and presented him with his blue hairspray.  I put it on for him and he went to the mirror.  He was in love.  "I love it!  I love it!"  He was so excited about his dream coming true!  I on the other hand, had been hoping for more of a "Oh, I look kind of weird.  Maybe I won't wear it out in public."  He liked it so much that he even agreed to go out in public with both me and him having blue hair.  (I was only bluffing.) 

So, my dear little Evan went to school on Thursday with blue hair.  I am an advocate for letting kids express their individuality.  Turns out, it was a bit harder on my pride than I expected.  Of course, I just wanted to send him like that, but, as it turned out, I had to be in the same building with him all day!  Fortunately for my pride, his teachers were more impressed than unimpressed.  They told me, "So, Evan does  have a rebellious streak in him!"  If only they knew...  If only they knew...

As a side note, I would point out that this is the son who has recently developed a sense of embarrassment.  And it's rather misplaced, I would say.  For example, it was so terribly embarrassing for him the day I sent his morning snack in his backpack with no lunch bag.  It was only a banana, so I just threw it in the front pocket of his backpack.  He warned me that it would be embarrassing, but I didn't take him too seriously.  Sure enough, after school he reported how horribly embarrassing it was at snack time to pull his banana out with (gasp!) no lunch bag to go with it.  Hmmm...

The other example he recently gave me takes place when I do lunch duty in his classroom.  He said he likes when I'm there, but it's so embarrassing when I walk over to his table and look in his lunch kit.  Or when I take out the container of food that needs to be warmed in the microwave.  Apparently, it's most important that he carries it to the microwave rather than having his Mom carry it there for him.  Well.  Now I know.

1 comment:

Kirst said...

i Love these stories!! that's great that you let him go to school with blue hair, and i love the "misplaced sense of embarrassment" :)