Friday, September 10, 2010

Soccer

My little soccer players... They've been so excited about soccer starting. Now we're 2 weeks into it.

Evan was fairly disgusted with soccer the first night- They didn't even play a game! Only practice! It was clear (to him) that he didn't need lowly practice! He enjoyed the next night of soccer and then refused to participate last night, choosing instead to stack orange cones with fellow sitter-outers. We'll just say that soccer night is a rather laid back community event. Here Eli and Evan pose along with our little friend, Hannah:

Eli is still loving it. Kendall helps with the kids. Here the 6-year olds are doing push-ups. Kendall appears to be searching for bugs or something microscopic. Eli is in the center of the photo doing his version of a push-up and I have no idea what the pink and purple girl in the background is doing. But it's typical of this age group.

Too bad I can't show video highlights here. I was smiling/laughing through the whole practice and game. Little kids are just too funny playing soccer. One kids appeared to randomly be doing CPR on another during the action. When the action was at one end of the field, another kid was sitting at the other end playing with grass. He was right in front of Kendall, the goalie. I saw Kendall lean down and encourage him to join the game, but Isaac seemed quite content to watch the game from afar.

Here are my favorite coach quotes of the evening (a dad who, though he remained kind, seemed to be feeling rather exasperated):
"Everyone who's not a goalie, Get out of the net!"
"You can't be on the ground! Why? Because you'll be stepped on and it's REALLY GONNA HURT!"

So the other night on my way to soccer practice I had a realization: I'm a soccer mom! At least I looked the part- I had a lawn chair, water bottles, my new Land's End down vest (a rather shocking purple) and a mini-van. Scary! Good thing soccer season only lasts a month.

5 comments:

Twila said...

Thanks Karen for the post, too cute and funny I really was laughing out loud and had to read it to Dad, At least they are having fun. love it.
Mom H.

Karissa said...

LOVE these photos and stories! I'm so proud of you Evan and Eli!

Dave & Gloria said...

These pictures and stories make me laugh... and I love Eli's sit-up!
Gloria

Jodi said...

Now THAT looks more like my kind of sport! Chatting with friends, stacking similar objects, enjoying nature... We could do that, right, Karen?

Renita said...

I would be the coach. But I could never coach little kids. No patience. Emma is supposed to start basketball this week. Yikes. I may need to tape my mouth shut.