Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Near-Miss!

Wow. We so nearly avoided a huge temper tantrum this morning. The child in question saw something he or she wanted really bad and came so close to kicking and screaming right out in public for the whole world to see. Thankfully, I got the child under control just in time. It was a near miss. And that child was me.

On my walk this morning I passed an empty lot. We looked at it briefly back when it was for sale. But it looked like it was almost all bedrock and we were sure we wanted a basement. And we didn't really like the area of town it was in. So, even though the lot itself was pretty, we never really considered it.

This morning the lot was no longer empty. On it sat a big, beautiful house- siding, brick, shutters, window, shingles. Well, it was half a house. I could see the trees behind it through the windows. The other half was sitting there waiting to be attached. I could see the beautifully-painted rooms inside, just waiting to be occupied.

The sight of this house filled me with such shock and jealousy that I almost screamed, threw myself down and pounded the pavement with my fists. Just a few days ago, this lot held a foundation. Today it held a gorgeous house. We're looking at 5-6 months until we can move in to ours. Not fair!

Pre-fab houses are popular up here. There aren't that many contractors (we couldn't have found a good one available until next spring- Thanks to Dave Miller for being a good contractor available this fall), supplies are limited and very expensive (we're traitors and buying our things in the States), and the building season, weather-wise, is quite short (we're just ignoring that one). We looked into the pre-fab option, but just couldn't justify it financially. With our resources (mainly fathers and Kendall's experience), we knew that we had to build or flip. But seriously, from the time the house arrives from Winnipeg to the time you can move in- it's only a few weeks. grrr....

For months now I've been operating in the we're-almost-out-of-this-place mode. That means that I really don't like the wreath on my wall, but I'm just letting it there because we're almost out of this place. My curtains really need to be fixed, but I'm just letting them because we're almost out of this place. I've never gotten around to really decorating the boys' room, but forget it because we're almost out of this place. I've already had thoughts of Christmas enter my mind and I think, Do I really need to set up a Christmas tree, because we're almost out of this place. Bedroom needs to be organized, baseboard heaters really need a coat of paint, thing on the wall fell apart and should be fixed, garden needs to be cleaned, etc. etc., but we're almost out of this place!

I'm thinking I should reconsider. You know how your job is fine, but when you know that you'll be soon moving on you can hardly stand it anymore? That's how I feel. I'm thinking I need to accept the fact that we will be moving long after Christmas. I'm thinking I need to work on the contentment issue. I'm thinking I need to decorate for fall.

5 comments:

Collin said...

Karen, if it you makes you feel any better I definitely felt a twinge of jealousy as I looked through the pictures of the place YOU will be owning. It may need some work but what an awesome place for the boys. I wouldn't trade the way I grew up for anything.

Velma Swartz said...

Karen, I still love the way you say it like you feel it. I agree with Collin, scenery around the house is gorgeous.

Renita said...

I was just telling someone the other day how refreshing it was to move every year during the college ages and a tad beyond. New scenery. New outlook on life. Maybe even new roommates. I loved your beginning paragraph wondering which kid it was, only to realize it was YOU! Thanks for being vulnerable enough to share your weaknesses! Can't wait to see the outcome! Yes, some long months ahead! But, man, such gorgeous land up there. Aaron would be totally jealous. He's missing his mountains of PA or VA.

ribbit98 said...

Kendall's uncle would be very upset with you if you went with pre-fab...just sayin'! :)

Carolyn said...

Great piece. I can identify with many of the feelings here, AND it makes me laugh!

Makes me think of
"When God closes a door,
he opens a window-
but it's hell in the hallway!"

By the way, I would live in a shack, with that view!