Saturday, April 3, 2010

April Fool's Day

So, Thursday was April Fool’s Day and I had way too much fun tormenting my sons. Finally, a real excuse!

As I looked for ideas online the day before, I was practically giggling in glee.

First of all, Thursday morning, Eli and I put saran wrap across Evan’s and Kendall’s doorways. When they got up, they both walked into an invisible wall. (Kendall clearly saw his- and it was his idea the night before, but he put on a good show for the boys.)

Then I put a few drops of food coloring in the bottom of their cereal bowls. When I poured in the milk and they stirred their cereal, their milk turned blue!

Then I got “juice” out of the fridge for them. Their “juice” was actually orange jello. I had poured it into cups to gel and had put a straw in the “juice.”

They enjoyed the morning tricks, but Kendall overheard Eli telling Evan that he was worried about these April Fool’s jokes. He knew there were more to come. Mwa-ha-ha! (That’s an evil laugh.)

I put a creepy crawly in both of their lunch boxes for school. Eli said he was not fooled at all by the disgusting rat in his lunch, but he loved it and showed it off. Evan, on the other hand, was fooled by his iguana for a split second. From what I gathered, he never said a word about it to his classmates and didn’t pull it out of the bag until Eli asked him to bring it outside at recess. I purposely chose a less creepy one for Evan.

After school I had “fish sticks” for them. They were actually chocolate bars rolled in graham cracker crumbs. When we went ice fishing that evening I gave them thermoses of “tomato soup,” which was vanilla pudding with red food coloring in it. They weren’t easily fooled by that time.

Anyway, April Fool’s Day was way too fun and I need to start collecting ideas for next year.

3 comments:

Kirst said...

hey karen!
i was excited to see that you posted again! i love the tricks you played on the boys. :) i can just see them getting all riled up about them. ha ha. that's great that you got to keep a "little guy" for a little while--i'm sure the boys loved having him there.
happy Easter to you and your family! :)
love, kirst

Twila said...

Wow. neat ideas, i remember doing an April fools joke on my dad one time and it wasn't funny.. anyway these sounded fun. like the post and pictures.

Renita said...

April Fool's Day is a sport to my mom. Bad memories - don't scar the boys. JK - the ones you did sounded great!