Saturday, June 20, 2009

Fostering

Now it's serious. This is the first weekend that we are officially on call for emergency foster care. It's exciting, although Kendall is working nights right now and I don't relish the idea of getting a call in the middle of the night to take a scared baby on my own. But we'll see what happens.

Eli is now excited. It's true that several months ago he did tell the social worker that he didn't want a foster baby. (That was right after he told her that he thought spankings would help him stop spitting at inappropriate times and that he sometimes wanted to kick his little brother. Thanks, man.) But now he's excited. We've been outfitted with a beeper just in case we're not home to get a call. Eli was with me when our social worker gave me the beeper. Tonight I was in the shower and when I got out, I found the beeper setting on the bathroom counter. Eli explained that he put it there so that I would hear when it went off.

Summer isn't the most convenient time for us to be starting this. We have camping trips planned the next three weekends. We're mainly on for short-term, emergency care. We requested that we only be called for children up to 2 years old. At this point in our family life that seems like the wisest option.

We'll see what happens. Should be interesting!

1 comment:

Nathalie said...

How exciting! Can't wait to hear what happens next.

BTW, thanks so much for the card the other day--it meant a lot.

Nathalie