Thursday, February 13, 2014

Thursday's Playdate

Meet Lydia's best buddy, Tirzah.


These two girls just love each other.
They get so excited to see each other.
They giggle and imitate.
They are just so sweet together.


And they do this:
A lot.  This is a very common sight.  (And yes, I do feel a little bit bad about taking this photo rather than breaking it up.  But only a little.)  When they have a disagreement, it is a HUGE deal.  Until it's over.
The following photo was taken approximately 30 seconds after the first photo.
And this one, 30 seconds later:
Crazy kids.  Recently, Tirzah's mom, also Karen (In addition to our names, we also have look-alike vans and almost look-alike husbands, by the way) told me that sometimes she just watches and waits when they get into it.  So the two girls started screaming and we just watched.  And finally one of them wrenched the coveted toy out of the other one's hands, set it down and they both happily went on their way, the toy forgotten.  So maybe that's a way to take care of it.  Then they learn that they still like each other, no matter who wins.

Of course, there are other spats like today when we were in the basement.  I heard the phone ringing and ran upstairs to answer it.  While I was talking I heard the screaming and wailing start up in the basement.  It went on for a few minutes as I finished up my call.  That one definitely needed intervention.

Another time today, Lydia claimed a block that Tirzah wanted.  She grabbed it and walked off, in defensive mode.  She heard Tirzah moving behind her and took off, sure that Tirzah was after her.  (She wasn't.)  Then she marched over to the toy box, opened it and deposited the block.  Apparently she didn't care to play with the block, just wanted to make sure that Tirzah couldn't have it.

Oh well, it doesn't bother me too much.  The boys think Lydia and Tirzah must be worst enemies.  I explained that No, they love each other.  They're just figuring things out.  And in the van later, the two were goofing off and cracking each other up.

P.S.  Could I just have a moment to brag about the above-mentioned toy box?
Isn't it beautiful?  I'm so happy with it.
Now, lest I give the wrong idea that I'm amazingly creative and this creativity fuels my life and overflows from deep within my very being, I'll just tell you that that's not the case.  I am ashamed to admit that it was months ago that I asked my dad to build this toy box.  He did his part and completed it in a few days.  Then it sat in the garage mocking me for not getting around to painting it.  Meanwhile a laundry basket another toy box in the living room held all the toys.  (And whatever else got thrown into it in a rush to tidy up.)
But whatever the case...It's here now.  We love it.  When Tirzah got here this morning, I told Lydia to show her her new toy box.  Lydia ran over to it shouting something (probably how much she loved it) and waving her hands around for emphasis.  Thanks Dad!

7 comments:

Dave Gloria said...

Love your stories, Karen... and the pictures of these 2 little ladies! Mom

Kirst said...

i love reading your blog karen! and the toybox looks great!

Twila said...

cute stories, cute toy box great paint job Karen!

Jen Bontrager said...

That paint job is amazing! And love the pictures of Lydia and her buddy. Sounds like they have an open and honest relationship!

Jodi said...

Very cool paint job, Karen! I think I might need to commission you for a wall mural soon...
And yes, I'm seeing that the girly drama starts young doesn't it? Love those stories, they made me laugh!

Jodi said...

I love the detail on the cardinal. It reminds me of the song I learned in VBS." Lit'l red bird in the tree (repeat a few x) sing a song to me...sing about God's goodness" ... Looking forward to seeing U in April! ( JB)

Jodi said...

JB , other wise known as Julie B . I'm waiting for Jace to wake up, so I can get him ready for pre/school. I love to have him all to myself. It's a g/ma thing. He's so adorable when he wakes up in the morn. Ex. " g/ma u can hold me now," :) ( Julie)