Friday, May 31, 2013

In a Small Town

Living in this tiny, isolated town, we don't have a Goodwill or a thrift store to visit.  So Buy and Sell facebook groups have become popular.  Today we sold something on one of these groups.  I had no idea who it was that bought the item.  I recognized the name, but didn't know her. 

I called her number to set up a time for pick-up.  An older man answered. 
I said, "Hi.  I'm calling for Pam."
Unknown man: "Yes you are."  Huh?
Me: "I'm just calling about the-"
Unknown man: "I know."  Okay...
Me:  "Oh.  I guess you know everything."
Unknown man:  "No.  I'm reading your mind."  (Heh.  Heh.  Creepy.)  "I'm leaving to pick it up at your house right away."
Me:  "Okay.  So I guess you know where I live?"  (That was my attempt at a joke.)
Unknown man:  "Yep!  In Jake's old house!"

Isn't that a little weird?  Then when he arrived he greeted me in what I think was Pennsylvania Dutch.

This kind of thing has happened countless times.  It actually makes me smile.  A feel just a bit creeped out.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

If that's Canada's way of playing the Mennonite game, then I pass! Freeeakkky.