Friday, January 7, 2011

Unexpected Relaxation- Part 2

We're home. Safe and sound in Red Lake. The deep snow outside sets a slightly different scene than the green grass I was looking at a week ago, but this is nice too.

To continue where I left off on my last post... We took over the poor Super 8 we were staying at- with the permission of "Grandma" at the front desk. She let us know that we were the only ones there and suggested that the boys and I take a tour of the hallways. She also informed me of the locations of the candy and pop machines and suggested that I cover the boys' eyes at those places.

By this time, the van had been towed to a nearby mechanic. They called and said that the problem had to be fixed at a Honda dealer. So Honda sent someone to pick us up at the hotel and our van was towed to Mechanic #2. We sat at the Honda dealership for awhile, then the shuttle took us to the airport to rent a car. From there, we went to the mall to eat.

Eventually, Mechanic #2 called us and said it had to do with the remote start Kendall got me for Christmas. He had it installed while we were in Indiana, but it was not installed right and was somehow tricking the van into not starting. So we sadly told them to go ahead and disconnect it. Well, I was sad that I couldn't have my remote start, but very happy that it wasn't something more serious. The van was done by 4:30, but we didn't want to drive 8 hours in dark, moose-infested country. We could have gone 3 hours to the border, but by then, we had already hit the jackpot: A waterpark hotel! When we called in, we were given a great off-season rate- only $14 more than the Super 8 and this one had a real hot tub and more!

The boys had so much fun and so did we. If we had to stay over an extra 24 hours, this was the perfect way to do it.



The 8-hour drive on Wednesday went well and we were ready to sleep in our own beds.
As a side note- Thursday morning Evan puked and continued to puke throughout the day, though he was quite happy between episodes. My favorite was when he did it on the basement floor at the new house. All the other times he managed to make it to a sink or container. I guess this was my favorite because Mr. Nurse was present and pulled out his trusty and ever-ready supply of rubber gloves and cleaned it up. I love being able to say, "You're a nurse so you're used to it." Thanks, man!

2 comments:

Kirst said...

this waterpark looks awesome! i'm glad that at least the last day of travels was uneventful! :) i hope things are going well with settling back into your home in canada...and working on a NEW home! :)
much love!

Dave Gloria said...

Karen, thanks for the "bed-time stories"... the basement episode made me chuckle. Mom