Monday, November 8, 2010

Pyromaniacs

The mother figures have just been itching to get their hands on the burn pile. The pile has grown considerably since the photo I posted 2 weeks ago. Mom M. and Mom H. have done lots of outside clean-up, adding to the pile.
So Saturday they started burning. The pile was way too big to just burn as it was, so they decided to make a smaller fire to the side, adding as necessary.
This morning they had the fire going again. I noticed a truck driving by slowly. Then it came back again and turned in. I soon saw that the man who got out was wearing a jacket with a Fire Department logo. I was on the phone at the time and he made his way over to the fire-burning women. As I got off the phone, I heard him greet them. They had yet to notice his jacket and here's how the conversation went:
Strange man: "How's it going?"
Gloria: "We're having fun!"
Twila: "Are you a fireman?" (joking)
Strange man: "I'm the Fire Chief."
Strange man (a.k.a. Fire Chief): "We received a complaint about the fire."
Twila: "Did you get the call today or Saturday? It was a lot bigger Saturday! Not to brag..."

Thankfully, this was a very nice Fire Chief and he okayed the fire. But I think I might start hiding the mothers when official inspector-type people stop by. They are more than helpful in a clean-up, work-hard situation, but I'm starting to wonder how helpful they may be in a "I'm-here-to-investigate-a-complaint" situation.

Feeling very thankful for these hard-working pyromaniacs today.

6 comments:

Jenni said...

you need to remind them that you get to LIVE here after they're finished burning and on their way home. :-) hilarious!

Jim said...

Sounds like everyone is having so much fun. I can just hear your mothers saying those things. Progress is happening quick! It makes me happy that you post pictures so often. =)Kendra

Jodi said...

I was crackin up reading the dialogue. I could just hear Gloria Fern... Ha! You tell that Gloria that the air down here's been much more cleaner since she's using her pyromania up in your parts. Just kidding!!

LaRonda said...

Those two together could be scary :) I can only imagine.

Kirst said...

i can believe that their hands were itching to get to that burn pile! that conversation cracks me up!

Glenda said...

I'm chuckling! Those ladies!