Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Snakes, snails and puppy dog tails (and tadpoles).

Last summer Eli swallowed a tadpole. I think he was happily surprised at the rave (grossing out) reviews. He has listened as we've told the story and what began as a simple act, has turned into an act of bravery, toughness and manliness. He was in his heaven surrounded by his cousins. So this was his perfect opportunity to strut his stuff.

Here he prepares his midday snack:

And he swallowed it! Is it truly gone? Yes, it is!

Ah yes, just the response and admiration he was hoping for:
Later in the day, just to prove his "boyness," he swallowed a second tadpole for everyone that had missed it the first time. Next summer, I think we'll make a rule that you can only eat one gross thing per year.


One night the whole family crammed into the living room and played swat. (Took me back to youth group days, though we usually tended to lean toward the games you could hold hands in.) Anyway, Eli was so into it. Excuse me for sounding like such a mother, but it just blessed my heart to watch him. I could identify with the feeling of belonging. I can remember the importance and the security of complete belonging in a group of cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents, the feeling that you have an important place among both the kids and the adults.

My extended family played such a vital role in my growing-up years. They are in so many of my most special memories. I think Kendall experienced the same thing, though his cousins were long-distance and mine were down the road. So, even though we don't live in the same community with any cousins, it has made me really want to encourage those relationships for our kids and make special memories when we're together. I was so happy to see Eli reveling in his extended family.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

And here I am in Indiana worried that my kids are going to get worms from playing with their pet kittens! And up in Canada you are ENCOURAGING your boys to eat alive slimy things!? :) EWWW, Eli! Gross. Let us know if you start to grow fins. ;)