Friday, January 30, 2009

Stinking Suitcases and Bed Hopping

We've been away from "home" (wherever that is) for a week and a half now. I will post photos soon. But anyway, I am tired of living out of a suitcase. I mean, how many places can a simple pair of underwear hide in a suitcase?! It's a big suitcase, but still… Someday we will have a closet again.

We are having a good time, but the trip and the excitement and the lack of sleep is taking its toll on all of us- the boys especially. Evan has it in his head that it is cute and perfectly acceptable to scream these short, obnoxious screams at me. He is refusing to greet people when they say hi to him. He is practicing (and excelling in) his whining and clinging skills. Eli is doing much better socially, but still experiencing the negative side effects of our current situation. He can't take naps and has been getting to bed very late. Last night he shared a room with Evan (and me and Kendall). After I tucked them into bed, Evan called me back to the room where he was hiding under the bed. He refused to come out no matter what I threatened. I would reach in one side of the bed and he would slither out of my reach. So I would go to the other side and reach in for him and he would slither away from me. Grrr!!! A tiny bit funny, but so maddening. Finally I went and got Kendall to help me drag him out. When we went into the bedroom to complete the mission, we heard Eli quietly whimpering. Kendall quickly fished the littlest guy out and handed him over to me. Then he laid down beside Eli who had moved into more vigorous crying. Poor Eli. He just wanted to be at our "white house" (in Red Lake). He didn't want to sleep here. He has a great time during the day, but he was exhausted and overwhelmed. I didn't have the heart to tell him that he still has 2 more places to sleep before we get home.

Anyway, tomorrow is Wedding #2 and I'm looking forward to it. Dreading the hours of traveling the next day, but tomorrow will be fun. And maybe Evan will cooperate in walking up the aisle. Judging by his deteriorating attitude and his "rehearsal" of the event tonight, I sort of doubt it. I'll keep you updated.

2 comments:

Jen Bontrager said...

I feel for you guys. Hopefully the time at Nana and Papa's will help you recooperate a bit before you hit the road again.

Dave & Gloria said...

Good to hear from you again! About the little screaming bouts...after Evan and Aunt Kirsten's "screaming contest" last week, and some of the rest of us laughing at his little shrieks, even though we were "trying"!? to stop them, maybe the little guy found it hard to understand why his tired mother found no humor in the racket!? So sorrrrry...now you get to get him back into "healthy habits" once more. It was so good to have you guys around for a week, but it does sound like your little guys, as well as their parents will be glad to get back into a normal routine again!

Love you, Mom